I think you'll agree with me when I say:
Incorporating avocado in your meals can be difficult!
Or is it?
It turns out that including avocado in your meals couldn't be easier. Avocado recipes are getting more common these days and it's because they are not only delicious, they're also extremely healthy.
Did you know that avocado contains more potassium than bananas? A medium sized avocado has approximately 975 mg of potassium, while a large banana has only half of that! And the high protein content makes avocado a satisfying meat substitute. What’s not to love?
Aren’t avocados high in fats? They are! But not all fats are bad for you. Avocado is loaded With Heart-Healthy Monounsaturated Fat (Healthy Fat). Monounsaturated fats are known to lower bad cholesterol levels and are beneficial when consumed in moderation.
That’s not all
Avocado also has a ton of Vitamin C & E, which are essential to great skin. The list of health benefits from eating avocado is endless! Here are my top 5 favorite avocado recipes that use simple ingredients and take little time to make. Enjoy!
AVOCADO TOAST WITH EGG
- 1 slice multi grain bread, toasted
- Half of small avocado
- 1 large egg
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Mash the avocado in a small bowl and season with a dash of salt and pepper (cover and refrigerate the other half of the avocado.)
- Heat a small nonstick skillet over low heat, spray with oil and gently crack the egg into the skillet and cook to your liking.
- Spread mashed avocado over toast and top with egg.
AVOCADO BANANA SMOOTHIE
- 1 ¼ cups of almond milk
- 1 avocado - peeled, pitted, and sliced
- 1 banana
- ¼ cup of ice (or more if needed.)
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
AVOCADO STRAWBERRY SALAD
- Half of avocado, cut in small chunks
- 4 large strawberries, washed and sliced
- 1 large handful of spinach/kale
- ¼ cup of pecans
- Approximately 2 tablespoons of your favorite poppy seed dressing.
- 1 tablespoon of feta cheese
- Mix spinach/kale, strawberries, pecans and poppy seed dressing. Top with avocado and feta cheese.
AVOCADO EGG SALAD SANDWICH
- 2 slices of multigrain bread
- 1 small avocado - peeled, pitted and sliced
- 2 hard boiled eggs
- Handful of spinach
- 1 tablespoon of chopped onion
- ½ tablespoon of lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a small bowl, mix and mash avocado, eggs, spinach, onion, lemon juice, and salt and pepper.
- Spread on multigrain bread
- 3 avocados - peeled, pitted, and mashed
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/2 cup of chopped onion
- 2 roma tomatoes, diced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 pinch of sea salt
- 1 pinch of ground cayenne pepper (optional)
- In a bowl, mash together all of the ingredients and serve immediately with your favorite chips or crackers.